“Keep in Touch” with Your Outlets
How often do you go around your house placing your hand over each electrical outlet? And that goes for those outdoors, in your garage, and other isolated spots.
If the answer is “never” or anything close, we’re about to give you ample reason to make touching your outlets one of your occasional household maintenance chores.
You see, an electrical outlet that is warm or hot to the touch indicates that the electrical load on the circuit is too high, that hidden wiring is melting, or that the wiring is loose or not up to the current electrical code.
Trouble also can occur if you have any outlets that can’t hold a plug or are not securely fastened to the wall.
Warm or not, you also should replace any two-pronged outlets with grounded three-pronged outlets. Plus, any outlets near enough to make contact with water should be replaced with code-correct GFCI outlets.
All of the above is for your own personal safety and to help prevent an electrical fire in your home.
What, you might ask, could cause an electrical fire. Here are two realistic possibilities:
- Short circuiting – If If too much heat builds up inside an outlet, it can melt the insulation that surrounds the wires. As the wires become exposed, a short circuit can occur which happens when electrons leap to the wrong area and cause a serious spark.
- Shoddy electrical repairs – Let’s say you’re having your kitchen or bathroom remodeled and the carpenter or contractor offers to install new outlets to save you a little money vs. bringing in a licensed electrician for the same purpose. When in doubt, spend the little extra (which may not cost you extra at all) and insist on letting and electrician handle all electrical work related to your project.
At Fox Services Express, the well-being of your home and family are always tops on the list of our priorities. So, no matter what the home electrical service or repair need, contact us now or anytime for the high quality, reliable workmanship and results we know you expect.